Saturday, December 7, 2013

How to find out where a picture was taken 50 years ago in 46 minutes

My father was a photographer throughout his life. I have boxes of thousands of slides of his going back from the late 1940s to the 1980s. There are slides of trips across the USA, slides from 1950s trips to Mexico and Europe, and later slides of family vacations in the 1960s and 1970s. Here are two of his photos:



These are photos of my mother taken in 1960. The car is Porsche 356 convertible that my father brought back to the US after a 1959 trip to Europe (before he met my mother). I have a memory of the car, hiding beneath the cover that snapped over the interior at door level, but left the driver's seat exposed for driving. As an impractical family car, my father sold it in 1965 or 1966 when I was two or three years old.

Why are there two separate near identical photos, one color and one black and white? I can only guess, but the color one had been developed not long after it was taken, and the black white roll was not developed until 2010, 50 years after the roll was exposed and 16 years after my father's death (more on the developing of 8 of my father's exposed film cartridges in a future post).

The question I had was, "Where was this picture taken?" It looked likely to be the Northern California coast, and the house in the picture seemed unique enough that someone might recognize it. So, I posted a question on the web site Metafilter. In 46 minutes I had my answer (Metafilter is a great web site - also note that first person to respond to my question was Metafilter user "asavage" - Adam Savage of the Mythbusters). 

Here's the Google Street View of the same location in Carmel, CA:

As you can see, the rock formations match the ones in the original photo. The house in the original photo can't be seen, but it's still there, hidden by a new house. The house is known as the "Butterfly House" and here's the Google Street View of it from further up the road facing the opposite way.

1 comment:

  1. Adam Savage?! Can I have your autograph? I took my guys and some of their friends to see a Mythbusters stage show at Heinz Hall, home to the Pgh. Symphony. Does Liam like Mythbusters?

    ReplyDelete